Monday, September 17, 2012

Urban Decay Naked 2 palette - Review with look!

Last Friday I was in town, and there was 10% off all cosmetics at Debenhams. I normally dodge that place because I'll spend all of my money, but I ended up there through no fault of my own and the Urban Decay counter caught my eye. Mostly because I knew where it was and I wanted to see, so I looked. I'd wanted one of the Naked palettes for a long time, so I thought screw it, now's as good a time as any. I got it for €36.45, reduced from €40.50 which is a real steal!

I chose the Naked 2 palette. More of the colours appealed to me than in Naked. Here are some photos!
Outer packaging
I really like the packaging, it's tin so you know your shadows are going to be quite safe in there! Also, the opening grooves are deeper and longer which gives you a good grip, and you don't have to pull hard to open it, so you never feel like it'll fly out of your hands.

The insides!
The palette consists of twelve shadows, a mirror, and a double ended 'Good Karma' brush. There's a good dense shadow brush on one end, and a crease brush on the other. I really like the shadow brush, it works really well, but I'm not too keen on the crease brush. I'll use it a bit more and see how it goes, but the bristles are longer than I'm used to for a crease brush, and it's a bit stiffer than I'm used to for a blending brush. The shadows look great. There is a good range of shades and finishes. You're spoiled for choice! 

Take a closer look:





Swatched over Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy, I wanted to bring out the best in the shimmers:

Half Baked, Chopper, Snakebite, Suspect
Pistol, Verve, YDK, Busted

These I swatched over NXY White base:

Foxy, Bootycall, Tease, Blackout
You can barely see Foxy, it's really close to my skin colour. My lids are dark enough though so it will be useful for me. The colour payoff with these is great, they're really pigmented. Lots of them are sparkly and shimmery and they look great! There are a few that have more of a satin finish (e.g. Bootycall, Busted), and some mattes too. I'm sure you can do a lot of different looks with this palette, I can't wait to really get into it! If you're a fan of neutral shades definitely pick up this palette, or its predecessor. They're good for the price considering the number of colours, quality of the shadows and range of finishes.

I don't actually have a huge deal of experience working with natural shades, which is why I wanted to get a Naked palette. It's something that I need to learn. I have the Sleek 'Au Natural' palette and I'm fond of that, but they're all mattes. I'm getting the hang of them and I do like them, but I wanted to try some shimmery natural shades.

I did one look with this palette which is kind of a mess to be honest. I shouldn't really have put shimmer with shimmer, and highlighted with more shimmer, lol :) I was excited and they were very shiny. I'll post a picture of it here anyway so you can have a good laugh, but I'll work it out and come up with something good to show you in the future!

Half Baked, YDK and Verve

Other products used:
  • Maybelline - Master Smokey Eye pencil - Smokey Chocolate
  • Maybelline - Scandal Eyes waterproof pencil - Bronze
  • Essence - Metal Glam eyeliner - Got A Date?
  • Essence - All Eyes On Me mascara - Deep Brown

Thanks a lot for reading! :D

7 comments:

  1. one of my favorite palettes! you did such a great review and makeup look :)

    vickyhoang.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. and the eye makeup looks great! maybe you should've put foxy as a highlight on brow bone and inner corner of your eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah the shadow was way shiny! lol
    I've played with it a bit since, it's looking better these days :)
    Thank you so much for your comments! I'm new to this so it's nice of you to let me know that I'm doing ok, lol

    You got the Vice palette! Jealous! The brights in that palette are so gorgeous. Can't wait to see your review :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're doing a good job though!

      i'm new to this too :)

      yes I did get the vice palette.. it's beautiful. the review is up!

      by the way, i'm subscribed now :)

      Delete
    2. I just read your review and left you a comment!
      I subscribed to you too ^__^ Thanks for subscribing to me!!

      Delete
    3. any time! :) post more stuff!! hehe

      Delete
    4. I know, time can be a massive problem!! :) Aiming for 2 a week, more when I can :D

      Delete